swissBOUNDARIES3D contains all administrative units and national boundaries of Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein in vector form. The product is based on an optimized data model for Switzerland and conforms to the data of the Swiss Federal Statistical Office. swissBOUNDARIES3D replaces the GG25 dataset from 2010 onwards.
State of data: 1.1.2013
The data is freely available from the toposhop.
swissBOUNDARIES3D is comprised of 5 layers of information:
- Administrative boundaries (national, canton, district and municipality boundaries), line geometry
- Administrative base units (municipalities), surface geometry (polygons)
- Districts, surface geometry (polygons)
- Cantons, surface geometry (polygons)
- Countries, surface geometry (polygons)
To achieve the third dimension, the administrative boundaries were projected on to the digital elevation model swissALTI3D. Therefore the lines and contours are geometrically specified as three-dimensional points (x, y, z).
The swissBOUNDARIES3D perimeter includes Switzerland, the Principality of Liechtenstein as well as the exclaves in neighboring countries. Besides political municipalities, areas such as the State Forest of Galm, lakes and other common areas larger than 5 km2 which are not assigned to a specific municipality are also designated as independent surfaces. The data set includes about 2500 municipalities.
swissBOUNDARIES3D is available in the following data formats:
- ESRI File Geodatabase 9.3
- ESRI Shapefile (3D)
- Interlis 1
swissBOUNDARIES3D is available in the existing Swiss coordinate systems:
swissBOUNDARIES3D is updated annually. The current version represents the situation as of 1 January of the current year. Updating is based on the information of the Cadastral Surveying (CS) and the Federal Statistical Office (FSO).
The generalized data of GG25 in the scale 1:25’000 were imported into swissBOUNDARIES3D.The data set's geometry is continually ameliorated through the integration of Cadastral Survey data which is derived from the surveying and determination processes for national boundaries. The state of progress for these processes is published in each edition's update information.
- Full national coverage in homogenous form and quality
- Horizontal accuracy: 0.5 m areas with improved geometry, 3-8 m in the other areas
- Vertical accuracy: 0.5 m in areas below 2000 m, 3-8 m the other areas
- Stable and unambiguous object identification
- Simple structure
Due to its simple and clearly defined data structure, swissBOUNDARIES3D can be used for a wide spectrum of tasks:
- Analyses requiring a spatial reference to the administrative divisions of Switzerland
- In combination with other geographical data sets
- Visual background for orientation in GIS, CAD and navigation systems
- Wide-area statistical analyses and simulations
- Reference data set for the build-up of information systems