SwissNames is the most extensive and most detailed compilation of Swiss toponymy data. SwissNames contains all the names given on the National Mapping (NM) series from 1:25 000 to 1:500 000 scale and comprises more than 190,000 georeferenced entries.
Structure of SwissNames
Grid coordinates are indicated for the centre of gravity of each object name, together with further information such as the name and number of the municipality and the abbreviation of the canton. Certain object names also include the height.
Following sets can be delivered:
Names from National Map 1:25 000
Names from National Map 1:50 000
Names from National Map 1:100 000
Names from National Map 1:200 000
Names of municipalities, towns, villages and hamlets at all map scales
The 2008 version is the latest release of the product SwissNames. Within the project Topographic Landscape Model TLM, the Federal Office of Topography swisstopo switched its production of vector spatial data in larger scales completely.
Thanks to these changes, we can offer more comprehensive and accurate vector data from fall 2013.
SwissNames distinguishes by the following quality features:
- full national coverage in homogeneous form and quality
- stable and unambiguous object identification
- simple structure
- various formats of delivery: ArcInfo e00, ArcView shapefile, Text file(.txt)
- aid to navigation and orientation in GIS and CAD systems
- base data for wide-area planning and analysis
- reference data set for the build-up of information systems
- toponymy database for web-based queries
- basic input to publications such as maps, plans and web-based products
Notification of an amendment (Now also for Smartphones)
Would you like to tell us about amendments, mistakes or additions that have not yet been taken into account in our maps and geodata? If so, you can use the revision service.
- "Revision service ".