swisstopo web access - WMTS
Geodata from swisstopo can be acquired as map services to be used for dynamic web mapping. The service can be used for positioning own points of interest and locations on a map integrated into a website.
Whom does the swisstopo web access - WMTS serve?
- WMTS Option
- API Option
an API is a programming interface (Application Programming Interface). The Federal Spatial Data Infrastructure offers you such an interface. With this you are given access to a framework of libraries, the help which of makes the integration of maps easy. Minor programming skills are sufficient to make use of this API.
What you get
swisstopo web access - WMTS provides you with a state of the art data service product. The complemetary OpenSource and OpenStandards based API covers the demands placed on a powerful modern geodata service..
- Availability of swisstopo data: homogenous and high quality standard official data for the whole of Switzerland.
- The data is updated on a regular basis.
- Accesibility to all free of charge Federal geodata.
- High performance map composition, comfortable navigation, scalability.
- High interoperability through the support of prevalent standards and publishing of the API source code.
- Only for use on websites, no desktop access.
Examples for the application of the swisstopo web access - WMTS:
Data and Maps
- SWISSIMAGE aerial images of Switzerland in a resolution from 25cm to 50cm
- National Maps in all scales in colour and grayscale
- Map generated from the Topographical Landscape Model swissTLM3D
- Historical Maps: First editions of the Dufour Map and Siegfried Map
- Hillshade derived from the digital elevation model swissALTI3D
- Hiking trails from the Topographical Landscape Model swissTLM3D
- Simplified 3D building volume bodies without roof shape
- Thematic layers from the landscape model VECTOR25
- Thematic layers from the landscape model VECTOR200
- Geological Atlas of Switzerland
Additionally all free of charge Federal geodata
Availability and support
There are two options available when registering for the service:
- Non-binding free version
- Free access of up to 25'000 megapixels/year, from the date of activation
- Permanent free access for localhost
- When the 25'000 megapixels have been used up, the service will be shut down if you don't pay the charges for further use. After 12 months you are given free access to 25'000 megapixels again.
- Adequate for moderately frequented websites with a small map view window
- Prepaid subscription
- You decide how many megapixels your website requires (preferably on the basis of having tested the free version)
- Choice of amount of megapixels (see detailed information)
- Unused megapixels expire after 2 years
Please consider: The amount of megapixels used also depends highly on the size of the map in the website.
After registering you are given:
- Access to the service
- Monthly usage statistics (so you can gauge which product option is best suited to your needs)
- A status report after using up 90% of your credit
- An information after using up 100% of your credit with a notice informing you about the term of shutting down of the service if you do not top up your credit
Detailed information on the prepaid subscription
|Amount of megapixels||Number of visitors/year*||Price/year**|
|100'000||~ 5'000||CHF 2'227.-|
|500'000||~ 25'000||CHF 7'560.-|
|1'000'000||~ 50'000||CHF 11'727.-|