- The Coordination, Geo-Information and Services Division (COGIS) is responsible for the following tasks:
- Developing and implementing the Swiss Federal strategy for geographical information, in accordance with the decision of the Federal Council of Ministers dated 25th February 1998 to establish a coordination centre for basic geodata empowered to make decisions and dedicated to service to customers.
- Harmonising the basic geodata for Switzerland in accordance with Federal legislation and simplify the organisational, legal, pricing and technical conditions for the distribution and sharing of this data; in this context, coordinating, implementing and providing the necessary services to government bodies and for the maintenance of the Federal Spatial Data Infrastructure (FSDI).
- Promoting the implementation of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI – e-geo.ch programme) in accordance with the decision of the Federal Council of Ministers dated 16th June 2003, and to this end coordinating the activities of partners in Switzerland (Cantons, local government and other organisations) and internationally.
- Ensuring the general operation and coordination of swisstopo projects concerning geographical information systems (GIS), the Web, information technology and telecommunications as well as the operation and further development of the relevant infrastructure.
Coordination, Geo-Information and Services (COGIS)
The tasks of COGIS
The organisation of COGIS
|Coordination, Geo-Information and Services Division||COGIS||Alain Buogo|
Rolf Buser (deputy)
|FSDI Coordination and Projects||IKP||Rolf Buser|
|FSDI Web Infrastructure||IWI||Cédric Moullet|
|GIS Centre||IGIS||Werner Balmer|
|Information Technology and Telecommunications||IIT||Dominique Dufour|
|Institute of Military Geography||MILGEO||Philippe Schütz|
The coordination of geographical information (GI) and the geographical information systems (GIS) within the Swiss Federal administration rests with the coordination agency for geoinformation on federal level GCG as the strategic management and supervisory body for COGIS. The GCG consists of one or more representatives of each of the seven departments of the Swiss Federal administration and the Federal Chancellery. It is chaired by the Director of swisstopo. The operational implementation of the strategy laid out by the GCG is the responsibility of the COGIS Division of swisstopo.
Comments about this page: COGIS