We have compiled a few bits of interesting information for you concerning the geography and shape of Switzerland.
Did you know that ...
- if the surface of Switzerland were flattened out, the area would be 12.5% or 5200 km2 larger than the official area of 41,284 km2? (Source: DHM25)
- about 23% of the area of Switzerland is over 2000 meters above sea level, and approx. 2% over 4000 meters? (Source: DHM25)
- the mean height of Switzerland is 1307 meters above sea level? (Source: DHM25)
- the Swiss road network (paved) has a length of 70,000 km, has over 10,000 bridges and leads through 1800 tunnels? (Source: VECTOR25)
- the flowing waters of Switzerland have a length of 61,000 km, of which 11,000 km are in The Grisons? (Source: VECTOR25)
- the place furthest from a building lies to the west of the Ewigschneehorn between Grindelwald and the Grimsel Pass? The approximate coordinates are Y=655000 / X=161500 and the distance to the nearest building as the crow flies is about 5 km. (Source: VECTOR25)
- the place furthest away from the national border is Uttigen, to the north of Thun, and lies 69 km away from the border? (Source: swissBOUNDARIES 3D)
The swisstopo products from which the above information was taken are described under:
- swissBOUNDARIES 3D